Sunday, June 01, 2008

bubble from the water cooler

We all have days where we know we should be doing something else with our lives. We all have moments where we think to ourselves, I could be doing more than this. I myself am a gigantic Hitchhiker's Guide nerd, so my main adage is to tell my friends and compatriots that I am having a Marvin day. "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to pick up this piece of paper..." It is with this that I introduce to you the most recent assignment by blondezilla to the mermaid, after having had an uncomfortable conversation about productivity in the new office. I am going to be challenged more! I am going to be responsible for more things. What she was talking about got finished in about an hour and a half, and then I frantically checked my google account again all afternoon. Today it was a list. We all use them, we all gripe about having to fill them in, but they are a staple of office life. Without them we would be daydreaming poets, or possibly CFOs. I am used to dealing with lists, particularly ones that help me to get things done. It was in that spirit that I made my own list and included on it such things as who else was involved in the project, what status the project had acheived, the event date, the shipping date, you know, things that need to remain hidden and top secret from anyone not directly involved in setting these dates. So in order to keep my things on track I made myself a list which I happily read from when anyone asks me any question about anything. In this way, I have gained a stranglehold on all office information, bwa ha ha! (In the interest of full disclosure, I have mentioned more than once that we need to share information in order to avoid many of the difficulties we currently run into. Usually in these conversations I'm told to stop complaining.) So today I was a little taken aback to hear that I would be making a new list. This one would go back in time to every event we have hosted since January and determine whether all relevant materials were in or still needed to be processed. I made mention of the fact that we have two databases with all this information at our fingertips, along with a folder marked Done on the server, but it appears my list-making abilities are second to none and they had to have them. On the day before a shipping day, when certain priorities should be, well, prioritized, an assignment such as this took me from 9:30am until 4pm with several interruptions to see if I was done yet. My arm felt like it was going to fall off from repeatedly typing the same few letters over and over, and I never want to see an excel spreadsheet ever again unless I get to actually write a formula that takes....thought. Is your boss accountable to you? Yes. The boss must demonstrate some idea of what the job is, listening skills and the ability to make reasonable decisions based on the situation inherent in the office. My boss is still asking me to pick up the piece of paper.

No comments: