Sunday, December 09, 2007

Letter to Dion

And here is my letter to Stephane Dion, the current leader of the official opposition:

The proposed Amendment to the Copyright Act to be tabled on Monday is simply unacceptable for any Canadian citizen.

As an academic, I know you understand how important it is to teachers to be able to use excerpts of recorded television shows, artistic productions, speeches and software in order to properly educate Canadians. Librarians and archivists in this country deserve nothing less than the highest support by legislation and funding to promote and care for the cultural property of our country. The guarantee of access to our artistic creations is what allows us to develop our history, our sovereignty, our very identity.

As a Quebecer, I'm sure you know how deeply the need to protect our cultural integrity is felt. We deserve a government that will not only discuss our culture publicly, but who will work to develop and promote it worldwide. For centuries now we have struggled with assimilation that has been felt in First Nations communities, Atlantic Provinces and Quebec and we will not calmly let the waters submerge us in North American homogenization.

The Harper government is taking your party's current difficulties as a signal to act as though mandated. They are not consulting with Canadians, they are not building coalitions, they are not seeking expert opinions and they are not delivering on their promise to create openness and transparency. You are the leader of the opposition and this moment is pivotal. This is not the time to live to fight another day. Our industries will be criminalized out of innovation; they will fall like softwood into codless seas. Our artists will be financially subdued into silence and financial ruin. Our students will circle old concepts like vultures with no hope of a new idea or future of rewarded intelligence.

You propose to lead my country. Stand and do it now.

Sincerely,
FWM

4 comments:

Freshwater Mermaid said...

Dude, if you want to send me a message, do so on facebook, you can click next to any of my posts and let me know. Leaving a comment on my blog about Facebook isn't really constructive. Nor is the language you used.

cheers,
FWM

Freshwater Mermaid said...

seriously, I'm right there on facebook, message me, post something on the wall, I'll listen.

Eric So said...

Great letter! Hope you don't mind if I use it to help write my own. I'm trying to find the appropriate level of anger to infuse my words...

And lol @ did somebody leave disparaging comments here about facebook?

I found your blog from the same place. Your privacy settings are set really high, it's impossible to message you there; I too, would have just sent you a kudos on facebook, if that weren't the case.

Anonymous said...

down with the gobernnent! BLAH BLAH BLAH