Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fathers of the Purse Strings

I just saw the televised memorial service at Virginia Tech. I can't imagine how much the students and other teachers and families need to turn now to their respective faiths and spiritualities. There were speakers from the Jewish, Buddhist and Christian communities to offer their own brand of condolences. What surprised me were the governors.

They were up there talking about the spiritual aftermath of the killings, as though they were spiritual leaders. Not just addressing the spiritual side of their constituents, but discussing the bible, the trials of Job, the meaning of the holy scriptures. I wonder at their willingness to do this in the face of past exercises. I wonder at how much importance they place on the tangibles of the people who remain.

Who honestly do they think they are, and why do they think we are all like them?

No comments: