Thursday, April 12, 2007

and so another has left us

At this moment of journalistic toadying and despicable acts of inhumanity towards each other, another of our greatest commentators and challengers has left us. Kurt Vonnegut died yesterday at the age of 84. I will never be able to hear him lecture or be able to pose any questions to him in person that I might have wanted to.

It was his work along with that of Kafka, David Bowie, Tori Amos, Lewis Black and others that reminded me that although it felt at the time that I was the only one asking for something better, something more intelligent and inspiring, there were others. His books helped me to survive incomprehensible violence by allowing the incomprehensible to be funny and yet still treated seriously.

Breakfast of Champions remains one of my all time hits. My pond is just a little saltier today.

1 comment:

Craig Sauvé said...

Cheers, to Kurt!